Saturday, June 16, 2012

Bini's Tuna Mornay

I'm terrible in the kitchen. Always have been. But since my son came into our lives, officially making me a Mummy, I've really been trying to make an effort.

This recipe is my saving grace. When my husband first tasted it he told me I was now in charge of making tuna mornay. It's my recipe, in that I read the original recipe wrong! I have since tried that same recipe as written and it was a bitter disappointment. After a couple more tweaks, I give you...

Bini's Tuna Mornay

Ingredients;
185g tin of tuna in brine, drained
440g tin of corn kernels, drained (3/4 tin may be all you want)
2 tablespoons of margarine or softened butter
2 tablespoons of plain flour
1 cup of shredded tasty cheddar cheese
2 cups full cream milk
Salt and Pepper to taste

Method;
Start with the white sauce. Over a medium heat, mix the flour and butter. Constantly stir as to avoid burning. Once it forms a uniform paste, start gradually adding the milk. Stir as you pour, as to avoid lumps.

Now add the corn, tuna and cheese. Salt and pepper to taste and reduce to a low heat. Allow to simmer while rice cooks. Can be removed from the heat five minutes before serving.

Easy as that!

No comments:

Post a Comment